PointForm tools are cut from mild steel and are not hardened. We prefer to not harden to tools to extend the life of the files used on them and to keep the cost of the tool down. Used properly they will last for a lifetime of turnouts.
Articles in this section
- What is the PointForm tool used for?
- Do I need to purchase a PointForm tool in order to use the Fast Tracks Assembly Fixtures?
- What is the difference between a PointForm tool for turnouts and one for crossovers, slip switches, three-ways or dual gauge?
- What is the projected life span of the PointForm?
- Can I use a belt sander to file the points using a PointForm tool?
- What are PointForm tools made from?
- How heavy is a PointForm? What will it cost to have one shipped?
- My PointForm tool has rust on it. How do I clean it off, and how do I prevent it from rusting again?
- There are no switch points on a crossing, do I still need a PointForm tool?
- Can I hold the tool in a vise while filing?